Border Partners had a productive 2019! Our new General Manager, Samantha Apodaca, completed her first year in the position and has expanded our programming with new funding opportunities. We are excited to share what we accomplished last year and what we have in store for the new year!
What we accomplished in 2019!
- Border Partners raised $10,196 at the 2019 Give Grandly Event! Thank you to all who donated on the Giving Day!
- We were awarded our fifth year of the Paso del Norte Health Foundation’s HEAL (Healthy Eating Active Lifestyle) Grant!
- We were also awarded Paso del Norte’s IGNITE Grant! The funding will support a 6 week Youth Art Summer Program this summer. Taught by a local Palomas artist, children of all ages will produce multiple murals/ art installations in the community.
- We have expanded our school nutrition lunch program to TWO schools! Now, over 200 students are fed healthy foods every day.
- We started a NEW program, serving 15 Palomas seniors and disabled residents a daily, nutritious lunch.
- We hosted two Health Fairs! The first was paired with a Sports fair, where children and adults participated in soccer, basketball, and volleyball tournaments. The fairs also had free healthy burritos, health screenings, hair cuts, Zumba exercise classes, art projects, and youth activities.
- The Border Partners Annual Summer School was a success! Over 80 Palomas youth attended Art, Physical Activity, Reading, Health, Gardening, Crafts, and English classes in our Education Center.
- In order to expand health programming, our Promotoras are now traveling to the surrounding towns and villages to train locals in health and gardening.
- The Promotoras are continuing their health outreach in schools by teaching workshops about the importance of healthy eating and physical activity.
- Twice a month, our Promotoras host local seniors at the community comedor to share healthy meals and fun activities.
- Our hardworking staff has built 10 more greenhouses for Palomas families and schools!
Help Border Partners continue
We are upon our 12th year of helping those in need. Your support is invaluable to our organization and the people of Palomas. Please help to continue Border Partners’ efforts by spreading the word about our mission and/or sending a donation of any amount. Your gift will have a direct and meaningful impact on many people’s lives.
NOTE: our mailing address has changed to PO Box 1435 Deming, NM 88031 or donate online.