Four workshops on four important topics for four different age groups: Border Partners’ staff managed a busy September schedule in Palomas.
Sixth Graders (18) at the Ford School focused on how to build strong self-esteem.
- High School Students (15) learned about Sexually Transmitted Diseases and–most importantly–how to prevent them.
- Pregnant Women (8) discussed the importance of good nutrition during pregnancy. The health of Palomas’ future children will improve with this preparation for births.
- Seniors (8) talked with each other about difficulties with insomnia and learned some ways to deal with it.
Everyday Tasks Continue
In addition to the special workshops, all our normal work continues. The gardeners distributed loads of veggies. Chard, celery and cilantro produced abundantly.
The Promotoras conducted 98 glucose tests for people in danger of having diabetes. They also administered 22 COVID tests. And, they prepared and delivered 698 meals to isolated seniors.
Sports events continued, too:
- Every month, the BP Bike Event attracts more riders.
- Our daily, morning Zumba class consistently attracts 8-12 women.
- This summer’s youth soccer season concluded with a Championship Tournament. Four teams participated and 100 people came to watch the exciting games.
And besides all that, staff and 10 volunteer students from the Prepa High School cleaned and repainted the Education Center in preparation for the Grand Re-Opening which will take place on Saturday, October 4 at 4 p.m.
Upcoming Special Event
We invite you to the Health Fair and Sustainable Energy Expo in Palomas on Saturday, October 29 from 9am-3pm.
Enjoy delicious, healthy burritos! Take advantage of immediate health checks! Receive a haircut! Border Partners will offer all these services at no cost to attendees.
In addition, view low cost, sustainable energy innovations, including:
- solar cookers,
- a pedal powered blender
- a solar water heater
- a bio-char stove
- papercrete building blocks, and
- a waterless toilet.
We’ve put all of this technology to work in Palomas. Come and see these sustainable energy techniques and technology in action. Expect to see even more and enjoy more opportunities at the Health Fair and Sustainable Energy Expo.