During 2016, thanks to generous support from numerous individuals and groups and the Paso del Norte Health Foundation, the people of Palomas, with Border Partners’ assistance, were able to make the following much needed improvements in their community.
- Townspeople built a dirt bike track so teens have productive activity.
- Volunteers created a bicycle repair shop. They’ve restored 250 bikes we brought to Palomas (so far!).
- For the first time ever townspeople have and use an indoor public recreation facility.
- Border Partner’s gardeners and volunteer parents built new school vegetable gardens at two Palomas elementary schools.
- Promotoras are teaching teens–in classes the teens love to attend–the skills they need to stay healthy and REMAIN in school to graduate.
Annual Report 2016–Working together also accomplished:
- Built a second greenhouse in the community garden,
- Began growing earthworms and produced 20 cubic yards of biochar to enrich gardens,
- Sponsored meal delivery to four handicapped senior citizens,
- Constructed security doors and windows on the new high school, AND
- Installed 6 revolutionary home furnaces that produce biochar and provide free heat.
- Began offering a monthly health screening check at the local plaza one Saturday each month.
And YES, Border Partners continued our OTHER successful programs too:
- Sponsored soccer, volleyball and basketball tournaments for all ages at the Border Partners’ Sports Center
- Held Spring & Fall town Health Fairs with health screenings, free haircuts, diabetes foot checks, free healthy burritos, nutrition handouts.
- Organized our fifth annual Summer School session for local children focused on the importance of eating healthy food and getting physical activity.
- Offered a computer skills class for adults
- Supported 70 home gardeners with technical assistance and supplies
- Delivered a monthly food supplement of nutritious food (value $300) for the school lunches at one of the primary schools
- Offered a series of nutrition classes for 40 families
- In collaboration with the local health clinic, sponsored several community walks and bike rides.